Monday, May 3, 2010

My Adventure.

I went to the post office after work today.  I needed to mail the placemats from the place mat quilt swap to Sylvie in France.  (I'll show photos once she has them.)  I parked, turned off the car, laid my keys on the seat (uh-huh) while I put the address label on the package.  Why didn't I put the label on at home?  Who knows...most likely so I could have an adventure!  I got out of the car and as soon as I let go of the door after pushing it shut, I said (loudly!)  "OH NO!!  My keys!"  Yup, there they were...laying on the seat.  "Shit.  Shit.  Shit."  (excuse my french.  OH...but, come to think of it, the package that I was there to mail is going to France, so maybe you shouldn't excuse my french.  ha!) 

Anyway.  Went in and took care of business.  Asked the postal worker if he had a phone I could use and told him why I wanted to use it.  He hollered to the back room, "Hey John, could you bring the phone up here?  A lady just locked her keys in her car."  ummmm, thanks.  He did look a little sheepish when he turned around and apologized for saying it loud enough for everyone in the PO to hear.  I didn't care.  

Okay.  Got the phone.  Who to call?  Couldn't remember anyone's phone number.  hmmmm...called Claire.  She was very helpful.

She asked, "Do you have an extra set of keys?"  I replied, "yes, in my bag, which is locked in my car."  She mentioned AAA, which I am not a member of.  But, genius that she is, she then asked if there was a service station close to the PO...perhaps someone there could help.  YES!  The place my car has grown quite fond of was across the street.  Well, a block away.  Across the 4 lane divided BUSY street.  I figured if they couldn't help, they would at least know who could.  Right?

So.  Off I went.  Remember, a block to the street, across the wide street and median, then about half a block down.  I was huffing and puffing...
nooooo, not that kind of huffing and puffing.  The 'ohmygosh, I cannot breathe!' kind.  But, the good news is...my knee did NOT hurt!  WOW.  

On with the story.  Because I know all of you are on the edge of your seats waiting...

John, the nice owner, took me back over in his truck and had the car door open within 45 seconds.  COOL!  I was impressed!  

edited to add:  He charged me only $10.00!  Nice guy!

So.  Can you beat that?

7 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh Jacque - that is an adventure (with exercise!) Or was it a test of the knee? Don't you just love it - I have done the same thing - the spare set in the purse - IN THE CAR!

Anonymous said...

LOLOLOL!!
I loved the huffing and puffing picture!!!!
Did he charge you anything?
You can call a cab company and they will do it but it costs $25 or something along those lines. LOL - I also laughed about the Post Office person yelling!!!!! LOLOL - boy that was an adventure.
I did that with my car running and warming up!!! I never put my purse with my extra set in my car at work when it is warming up anymore either!!! Did it twice!!!
LOLOL
Joyce

moosecraft said...

I'm very familiar with that feeling... all the blood rushes to the tips of your fingers as soon as you realize what's about to happen! So glad your knee held up to all of the walking. Another tip... just in case this happens further away from your favorite service station... dealers keep key codes in there computers 10 years back (at least) So, you can get the vin no. off the metal plate inside the front windshield (or door jam) and they will have another key made in no time. We got locked out of our car whilst in another state once... ooops!

kks said...

ha! i laughed when i got your message! a small town person wouldn't have charged you anything! next time carry a wire coat hanger!
xoxo

Tammy Burks said...

Oh Jacque...don't you just hate when that happens....but don't you just love it when you find someone to get you out of your jam!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Jacque ~
Since the placemats were going to France, you should have said merde, merde, merde!
I'm glad it all worked out for a mere $10 (how much fabric could you have bought with that?) and your knee felt OK.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

jane augenstein said...

Oh, Jacque! I have only done that once and Jennifer did it to me once. Now I always make sure before I get out of the car that my keys are in my hand before I ever shut the door; locked or not!
When Jennifer did that to me, not only were we locked out of the car but out of the house that my niece lived in. We were there helping her move, she had to go to work, I didn't know anyone in the neighborhood....finally found a woman home that let me use her phone to call to have a garage come and unlock it. Cost me $25.00 and that was 20 years ago! I would hate to think what they charge now!!!
Glad to hear that your knee held up anyway! :-D