Monday, January 12, 2009

Early to Rise...

As a (sort of) new Christian, I've known for a long time that I need to read the Bible and memorize verses. Not only do I need to, but I want to! However, I hadn't been finding (read taking) the time. And, when I did find/take the time, it was at the end of the day...at bedtime. Not so good. I was tired. I had a wonderful Bible that, regrettably, had very small print. So, I would struggle to focus on the words I was reading, rather than being able to read along and focus on what I was reading. Last year, Brenis gave me a wondeful & BEAUTIFUL Bible...AND, it is large text!!! YAY!!! Now, I can focus on what I am reading...how great is that??

But. Still. I didn't take time.

THEN, I ran across this blog, and read about the 5:00 Club. Now, I am totally motivated! My alarm used to be set for 5:01 (don't ask) every morning...and my schedule at the VMTH was 7:00-1:00. But, now my schedule is 8:00-2:00, so my alarm is set for 5:51 (again, don't ask). However, I am always awake before 5:30...and usually awaken just after 5:00 (after 5:01, to be exact). I was so psyched when I read about the 5:00 Club! Like someone had to hit me over the head with a 2 x 4, ya know...I couldn't have figured out that I could just get up a bit earlier and do my Bible reading!

At any rate, I am on vacation this week, so I thought this would be a great time to begin this schedule! It'll give me a little time to get into the habit, so that when I go back to work on the 20th, I'll already be reaping the benefits and much more likely to continue on.

My good plans got messed up here on the first day, but as soon as the way was clear, I did my Bible reading. I have a journal that was designed specifically to keep track of what I am reading (thank you, Bren!) and what I get from my reading. I gotta tell ya...just this one day of starting everything off spending time reading the Word of God has got me all revved up. I truly believe that this the best way to go...it will better keep me in the Word all day long. Perhaps I will be able to apply what I've read to my ordinary, everyday life. hey?

Hope you're having a great day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds way too early for me but then
I am up till midnight each night. Sounds like
a great plan for you to get that reading in though and then have it carry on into your day.
Love, JOyce

Christy said...

You are #2 blogger leaving a comment. I will let you know when I am sending your gift so that you can pass your address onto me. Thanks for taking part and don't forget to pay-it-forward!!!

Christy said...

Can you please send email me with your address. You can link to my email from my profile page on the blog site. Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

I have been in the habit of getting up earlier than necessary each day to read...sometimes a spiritual read, sometimes a rug hooking book with photographs, sometimes a novel. Everything is peaceful and quiet, and it is a wonderful way to begin your day. I get up at 4:00, and leave my house for work by 5:30. You will find your spirit refreshed and ready to start your day with a good reminder that God will be walking with you no matter what happens that day. And you have time to thank Him in advance for what he will bring to you that day!
Lauri

Jacque. said...

Lauri...I have a friend who gets up early on Sundays to embroider...in the peace of the morning. I have always gotten up early, but just never done something quiet...lots of energy when I get up, so I am always seeing how much I can get done. I'm really enjoying my Bible reading.