Sunday, March 30, 2014

For Rent...

Some of you may remember that I bought a Handi-Quilter frame and Janome 1600-DP aka 'the big bad boy' back in 2009.  I had several problems with thread breaking and tension, so I never put the machine to use.  It's going in for a tune-up this next month, so hopefully, I'll be able to use it.  However, I don't have the table or the space to set up the quilting frame here in my small apartment.  But, at least with the larger throat the machine has, it'll be easier to do quilting.  I also have no place to pin baste anything larger than a baby quilt sized quilt (hence, all the flimsies waiting to be put together and quilted).  I would love to send out my quilts to be quilted by a longarm quilter, but my budget doesn't allow that.  

What to do?  Well, I have found the solution!  This quilt I am making for me Mum is going to be the largest quilt I've made.  It's to be a Mother's Day/birthday gift to me Mum from me and my 3 sisters (who are paying for the quilting).  I was in the process of looking for a local longarm quilter when I ran across 'The Electric Needle', a sewing machine service center and Pfaff dealership.  In addition to sewing machines, they sell longarm quilting machines and frames, etc.  AND, they rent out their longarm quilter!  I am so excited, I can barely stand it.  I have an appointment on Thursday, this next week, to use their machine.  They help as much as is needed, which will be a lot for a first-time user, that's for sure!  One is able to do free-motion quilting, or use their computer programs.  I think I will program the quilter with one of the patterns available for this first time.  

I worked on the quilt yesterday and got all the sections finished and laid out to my satisfaction.  Now to sew the sections together and add the borders.  I need to put the backing together, too.  Only 4 days to get it completely finished and ready to take to my appointment.  

Here is a peek at the sections together on my bed...

The light colored squares are actually a creamy color...very soft-looking.

I plan to take several photos of my time with the longarm quilter to show you all.  

Here's a photo of Tag with his sidekick, the warthog.  I know, it seems all he does is sleep.  Not so.  Just always a good photo-op.

Have a great Sunday!




"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.". Jeremiah 29:11

5 comments:

moosecraft said...

Awwww... Tag looks so sweet with his warthog! :-) Your Mum's quilt is very pretty! Looking forward to seeing how the longarm renting process works! :-)

Kim said...

It's beautiful. I love the soft, warm colors. What a great idea to have that type of machine rental.

WoolenSails said...

I have seen places that do that and I like that idea, but it still seems high for me. I have the room but no money for a long arm, lol. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

Debbie

Farm Girl said...

I just love your quilt and I love your news. What a great idea. I can't wait to hear how it all works out.

annie said...

well great for you!
hope to see you in the photos,
sounds like a plan!
loved the warthog photo!