Monday, July 5, 2010

DQS9 & a Parting Gift...

Here is what I've done so far with my doll quilt swap quilt.  I'm thinking it looks okay.  Except for the mistake I made.  I am going to leave it, though...don't think it takes anything away from it.  Plus, I'm being lazy.

 
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Sophie Petersen, the neurologist who treated Allegra last fall, is leaving the VMTH.  I am very sad.  Not that I know her well, but because now I won't get the chance to know her.  She is moving closer to her family...cannot fault that reasoning.

For those of you who don't know anything about Allegra, she was my little collie girl...diagnosed with a lower brainstem lesion last fall.  She was euthanized on Halloween.  I was so impressed with how Dr. Petersen was with her...so very kind, soft-spoken and gentle.  She took her time examining Allegra every single time I showed up at work with her.  She was always willing to answer my questions and was generous with her time & explanations.  

If you're interested in reading more of what went on with Allegra, just enter her name in the search bar...or go to 'what I write about' in the sidebar and click on her name.

Dr. Petersen's last day is this Friday and I wanted to give her something to show my deep appreciation.  So, I made a table runner for her.  I had always intended to make her something...but you know how that goes. 

This table runner measures 15 3/4 x 32 1/2 inches.  I quilted with straight lines, one on each side of each seam.  Most of the fabrics are from the Iced Mocha line...one of my absolute faves...


Back to work tomorrow, but only for 3 days. 

9 comments:

Farm Girl said...

The doll quilt swap quilt is just beautiful and if there is a mistake no one will know but you.

I will track down your story about Allegra, but not today, I might cry and since my dog is so close to that stage. Oh well, I like your Mocha fabric and it is just beautiful. I am sure your friend will love it. You are a amazing quilter, Can I come and you teach me. :)Just kidding.

kks said...

that is beautiful Jacque! Dr. Peterson will be greatly missed! i just found out a couple weeks ago and was very sad too...i talked to her last week, but didn't realize this was her last week!
she will be very touched by your thoughtful gift!
xoxo

Rugs and Pugs said...

Jacque ~
What a thoughtful gift for Dr. Peterson. I'm sure she will love it and appreciate the thoughtfulness. The colors are beautiful.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful new pieces and I love the colors in the runner.

Debbie

Joanne said...

What a lovely treasure for Dr. P! How nice and how wonderful Allegra had such a kind soul in the end. Cool doll quilt too - you sure have been a busy bee!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Headed to DQ now!
Just kidding!
The table runner is awesome with those colors - I think they're my favorite too!
I like the pinwheel table topper from yesterday! How cute!
Love and hugs to the talented one from your youngest sis!

Unknown said...

Painful as it was as we were all going through that time with you, I know you will never forget how kind she was in your sorrow.
she also, will remember you when she looks at the runner.
I do love the doll quilt. they do make great clothes for the tables as a great display. I just don't have any dolls anymore.

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

I love both of them Jacque! I really love the iced mocha fabric.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Peterson will love that table runner! Joyce