Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Borders...


bor·der

[bawr-der] 
noun
 
1.  the part or edge of a surface or area that forms its outer boundary.

I am not always quite sure what type of border I want to put on each quilt I make.  It depends on the quilt...I treat them all as individuals.  Do I want to use just one big, wide piece of fabric?  Or, do I want to make it scrappy, using several different fabrics?  Do I want to make floating squares?  Perhaps alternating squares?  Do I want more than one border?  Crazy idea...what about no border?  Endless possibilities, really.

So much to think about.  And, that's not all.

How large I want the finished quilt to be plays a major role in determining the type  and size of the border(s). 

As I wrote in my last post, I decided to make only 9 of the 12 blocks of the Summer Sampler Series Quiltalong.  But, even with 3" sashing around each block, the quilt measured just 48 inches square.  I wanted it to be at least 60 inches square.  So, I gave quite a bit of thought to what type and size of border I wanted on this quilt.  I didn't want it to be too elaborate, as the focus should be on the blocks, not the border.  It took me a few days, but I finally hit upon an idea that I really liked.  And, that I thought would work well with this quilt.  

Half-square triangles (aka hst's)!  I had almost decided upon a floating squares border when I started thinking about all of the hst's I've made lately.  Between this quilt and the Aqua and Red Bee Block Swap that I am in....LOTS of them around here!   HEY!  I KNOW!  Why not a border of hst's??  So, that's what I did.  It's simple and frames the blocks nicely...I think it looks great!

I'm hoping to get that one basted/quilted/finished by the end of this weekend.  EXCEPT, I am not sure how I'll want to quilt it!
  
OH!  And, I finished the wonky charms quilt that I first mentioned here.  I am in love with it (big surprise, hey?).  I quilted it with simple meandering.  After laundering, and in all its crinkly softness, it measures 46 x 54.5 inches.  Thanks, Erin, for allowing me to rip off this great idea!
 



I used a charm pack of Sherbet Pips by Aneela Hoey for Moda and Kona solid in White.  I purchased a bundle of Collection Coordinates from Pink Chalk Fabrics for the other solids used.  The backing is yardage of Sherbet Pips fabrics with 5 more of the charm squares.


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

6 comments:

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

A feast for the eyes as usual. It's so nice to see a lovely quilt show tonight as I try to relax from another grueling day at the new job!! The colors are just wonderful...cheerful and fun!
You always make me want to quilt!
Hugs!

Ann said...

I absolutely LOVE how you finished this quilt and the border you used. You are fast! You've figured out the border and have it only already. Thanks so much for sharing. ~Ann

WoolenSails said...

I love how you do the backings, just as nice as the fronts. I always fold my border back to make the binding, I am lazy, lol.

Debbie

Dog Trot Farm said...

Jacque, viewing your lovely, vibrant quilts...well they just put a smile on my face! PRETTY!

moosecraft said...

Sweet, splendid perfection! You ROCK!!! That Summer Sampler Series quilt is gorgeous! The wonky squares is another goodie!!! Absolutely beautiful! Seriously... you ROCK!!!

Anonymous said...

That border is PERFECT!!!! I just love it and I thought there could be nothing more that you do to thrill me until I scrolled down and saw the next quilt!!!!!!!!!
That one is just so alive and jumps right out at you!!!!
Awesome work there sister of mine!
Joyce