Friday, March 19, 2010

Charmed Whirlygigs...

Here's the smaller of the two charmed whirlygigs I made.  This one is completely finished.  I love to use my walking foot, so on this one, I quilted straight lines...1/4 inch away from each straight seam, then did some straight-line stitching on the 2 inch border.  On the wide border, I sewed lines, not measuring...just going by eye...along each border...which made little squares in each of the 4 corners.  I am very happy with how this turned out.  And, I am totally in love with the creamy buttery color I used on the backing!  It's a Kona solid, though I cannot remember the name...will definitely get more of this.  This little quilt measures about 37 inches square.  

The larger one, measuring about 54 x 60 (something like that) before washing...the top is done, but I need to sandwich it with the backing and batting and then quilt it.  Will probably just do some free-motion meandering on that one. 


Don't you think these would be so dang cute as a lap quilt set...for mother and child??

3 comments:

Pokey said...

Good going on both of your whirlygigs, aren't they neat? I've tried some of these. Think I should finish them, LOL
Your sew in looks fun ,too. I'm sewing tonight, my blue 'sink' is up to 728 pieces, but who's counting?

Brenis said...

Oh my gosh!! CUTE CUTE CUTE!!! Love that fabric you used on the border too!! It's sooo fun!!

Unknown said...

it would be adorable for a mother and child...I love how you quilted the top one! I love the whirligig quilts I have been seeing...I havent made one yet.....