Monday, June 25, 2007

What to do with...

old quilts??? Or, to be more specific, quilt tops. These 2 quilt tops were given to me by my (then) mother-in-law back in 1974 when I was just a new bride. I believe that they were made in the mid to late 1940's, so they're really old. Neither quilt top that I'm showing you here has a backing on it...waiting for me to finish them, I guess. But, I don't know what to do with them. I've thought about selling them, but have no clue if they have any value...thought about backing/filling/quilting them, but don't know where/how I would use them. I don't really want the dogs all over them. I've thought about cutting them up and making things (totes?), but I don't think I could make myself do that. Then, I kinda think it doesn't really matter what I do with them (dogs on them included) because at least they'd be used...right now they are in a cedar chest where no one can see them.

The first one shown is a log cabin quilt and measures about 70 x 78 inches...each block being approximately 8 1/2 inches square. The seams are machine-stitched. Not sure what type of fabrics were used, but most of them are 'shiny'. This quilt has some definite worn spots, where the fabric is thin and tearing a bit.




Here's the back...it looks like each block is lined with a fabric before it is sewn to the surrounding blocks...get a good look at those (now) vintage fabrics that were used for that!




Here's the second quilt, which measures about 76 x 94 inches. It has a few holes in it...mice, I'd guess. I think it's mostly hand-stitched, using the decorative feather stitch in matching threads. Each block is about 18 inches square. This is a real mixture of fabrics. I like this one the best.




Here's the back...you can see the hand stitching on the lining and on the seam allowances.



I welcome any and all suggestions you may have about what to do with these quilt tops.

Before I forget (again), thank you all for reading my blog...and for the comments you make!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would mom be interested in having someone help her finish them? I would love a quilt like that for winter time or in my guest room. If you want to just give away, let me know, I am interested. I could l\always finish one myself with Minerva's help.
I just think that the women of the moose could finish one of them also and even raffle it off. Just some ideas that immediately popped into my head. Joyce

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails