Monday, June 25, 2007

What to do with...

old quilts??? Or, to be more specific, quilt tops. These 2 quilt tops were given to me by my (then) mother-in-law back in 1974 when I was just a new bride. I believe that they were made in the mid to late 1940's, so they're really old. Neither quilt top that I'm showing you here has a backing on it...waiting for me to finish them, I guess. But, I don't know what to do with them. I've thought about selling them, but have no clue if they have any value...thought about backing/filling/quilting them, but don't know where/how I would use them. I don't really want the dogs all over them. I've thought about cutting them up and making things (totes?), but I don't think I could make myself do that. Then, I kinda think it doesn't really matter what I do with them (dogs on them included) because at least they'd be used...right now they are in a cedar chest where no one can see them.

The first one shown is a log cabin quilt and measures about 70 x 78 inches...each block being approximately 8 1/2 inches square. The seams are machine-stitched. Not sure what type of fabrics were used, but most of them are 'shiny'. This quilt has some definite worn spots, where the fabric is thin and tearing a bit.




Here's the back...it looks like each block is lined with a fabric before it is sewn to the surrounding blocks...get a good look at those (now) vintage fabrics that were used for that!




Here's the second quilt, which measures about 76 x 94 inches. It has a few holes in it...mice, I'd guess. I think it's mostly hand-stitched, using the decorative feather stitch in matching threads. Each block is about 18 inches square. This is a real mixture of fabrics. I like this one the best.




Here's the back...you can see the hand stitching on the lining and on the seam allowances.



I welcome any and all suggestions you may have about what to do with these quilt tops.

Before I forget (again), thank you all for reading my blog...and for the comments you make!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would mom be interested in having someone help her finish them? I would love a quilt like that for winter time or in my guest room. If you want to just give away, let me know, I am interested. I could l\always finish one myself with Minerva's help.
I just think that the women of the moose could finish one of them also and even raffle it off. Just some ideas that immediately popped into my head. Joyce