Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Lord's Prayer


This is my most special possession ...and hangs in a very prominent position in my bedroom...it's the first thing I see when I awaken each morning. It's a filet crochet of The Lord's Prayer. It was crocheted by my Gram Kelley over a period of a few years. She started it around the year 1950 when she sat at my aunt's bedside (my aunt was bedridden with nephritis). I'm not sure if it was framed immediately upon completion, but has been as long as I can remember. Including the frame, it measures about 33 x 42 inches. When I was about 11 years old, I started making comments to Gram about it..."Gram, when you die, may I have that?" Needless to say, my family was appalled by my behavior. However, it wasn't long before Gram wrote my name on a piece of paper and taped it to the back of the frame...her way of saying that it WAS to be mine. I found that out when I was about 18 years of age, but I didn't quit pestering her about it. My aunts thought I was a very rude young person...but, HEY!...you see whose wall it's hanging on! I didn't have to wait until Gram died to have this beautiful piece in my home, either. She gave it to me several years before she left us. Thank you, Gram.

No comments: