Saturday, October 10, 2009

Allegra and Sisters

Update on Allegra: she's doing about the same. No better, but no worse. We're hanging in there.

Other news: I am trying to get everything done this weekend...my sisters are coming. Several years ago, I read Nicholas Sparks' book, "Three Weeks With My Brother". It's an exploration of relationships between the two brothers (Nicholas & his brother, Micah), & how life has influenced them, etc., as they go on a trip around the world. I loved it! And, I have an autographed copy!

At any rate, I determined then and there that time spent with my family was the most important thing in my life. Sisters Weekend resulted from that. Joyce lives in Alaska. Julie lives in Colorado (though she still lived here by me when I instigated this idea), and Jill lives about 2 hours away here in Wisconsin. Once a year, when Joyce comes to Wisconsin to see family and friends, we set aside 2 days for the 4 of us to get together. It's not always a weekend, and it's usually only one overnight. But, we spend time together, just the 4 of us...the 4 J's. We don't do anything special. Sometimes we shop, sometimes we just hang out. The one thing we always do is eat well! Julie missed the first year after she had moved to CO, and we didn't have the opportunity last year, so this year is very special. We each buy 4 gifts...not birthday or Christmas...just a special something for each of us to have from our time together. I've been busy, but I cannot tell you what I'm giving...you'll have to wait until next week when this is over.

Julie and Joyce are flying to WI today. They'll stay in Eau Claire where our Mom lives. Julie will come to Madison on Tuesday, while Joyce takes more time to spend with her youngest daughter, her grandson, & friends. Julie will spend time visiting friends in this area, bathing my dogs, and just hang out with me. I only work Monday & Tuesday. We will probably do a bit of shopping...I know Julie needs a digital camera. On Friday, Joyce and Jill will come down. It'll be a great time and I am so looking forward to it!!! It'll come slowly, but will be over much too soon. They'll all leave Saturday night. I hope to have lots and lots of photos to show you!

Here's what I'm working on right now...just need to hand sew the binding...trying to get it done before my sisters are here. Nooooo, it's not for any of them. Just want to get it done. Look at all the quilting on this one...I had some serious fun! Random lines in the center, stippling in the first border, zigzag lines in the floating squares, then just some lazy lines on the outside border (which you cannot see too well because the binding hasn't been turned to the back, yet). I used a brown/cream variegated thread...so pretty!
Have a great weekend.

10 comments:

moosecraft said...

Wow! Sounds like a busy and wonderful week ahead of you! Enjoy your visit with your Sisters and savour every second! Nice, happy stitching on that quilt! :-) Kisses to Allegra! ~Sharon

WoolenSails said...

I hope you have a wonderful time with your sisters.
Love all the quilting, sure is fun to experiment with free motion and just have fun with it.

Debbie

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

i am glad allegra is no worse.

sounds like you will be having a great time with your sisters.

i love that iced mocha quilt!!!

i wanted to say THANKS for the fabric necklace. I love it!

p.s. i think i am going to try blogging again.

JoJo said...

Jacque, you have a good time with your sisters. It made me think how long it's been with MY sisters......ummm, I saw two of them back in January or February when my aunt in Omaha died. But I haven't seen my baby sister (Houston) since we scattered Mom and Dad's ashes 4 years ago. Too long.

I love the quilt you're working on. Love the colors, love the quilting....love everything about it.

And I so happy and glad to read that Allegra is holding her own. You GO, Allegra!!

Joanne said...

Wow jacque - have a wonderful visit - the 4 J's! That's great you all can do that and make time ofr it- I'm sure just hanging is fun. So happy Allegra is hanging in there holding her on! How could she not with her Mom giving her such close attention and love.

kks said...

fun is on the way! hope you got all your cleaning done....? :)
xoxox

Cathy said...

It sounds like a lot of fun is coming. Sisters are the best....I have 2 of them, one who live only 10 minutes away.
I am glad that Allegra is hanging in there.....take lots of pictures of her if you can.
Cathy

Ina in Alaska said...

Looking forward to the sister post! And please tell Joyce to give me a call when she returns to Alaska. There might even be snow on the ground when she gets home!! xoxo Hugs to Allegra too.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Jacque ~
So glad Allegra is no worse :)
Have fun with your sisters. Lucky you to get along with all of them. There is so much sibling rivalry in our family (and we're supposedly mature adults...lol...5o's and 60's) that we put the fun back in disfunctional!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Well I sure wasn't expecting any snow in WI on this trip but surprise, surprise! The weather should be a little warmer for us this weekend. Can't wait to get there!!!! joyce