Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Spilling the Beans!

Yes, it is finally time to tell all!  I am so excited about this new venture!  

What I briefly mentioned in my previous post about a collaboration between Cathy and I is what this is all about.  All about the dolls.  Cathy loves making them.  I am into the making of doll clothes.  Well.  What better way to put our talents to good use than by working together!!!  I say, what a great idea!  A few weeks ago, she sent the first doll for me to 'dress'.  I did nothing with the doll at first...well, first because I took my litttle vacay.  Even when I first got home, though, I did nothing.  I needed to let the ideas work themselves around inside my head and come together in a cohesive manner.  I sat and looked at the doll and let my mind wander.  She needed a name and I needed to know what to dress her in.  

Collaboration.  Creating something together.  I have complete freedom, but I do want to make sure that what I decide isn't completely off the wall as far as Cathy is concerned.  You know? 

Her name came to me...Fiona.  Perfect! 

 I knew that I wanted Fiona to have a sweater.  Her hair is an orangish color, so I chose a lime green yarn for the sweater...and for a pair of booties.  I finished those yesterday.  This morning, I made a dress and pantaloons for her.  Next on the list...a play outfit.  Something with fun fabric...which I have a lot of, thanks to Cathy and her boxes of 'scraps'.  ~grin~  And, I was thinking that she might need a quilt and pillow, but I have not made up my mind about that. 

Here's a peek at what I've gotten done...




I definitely need to fix her hair.  

So, tell me...what do you think? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A former coworker and fellow retiree called upon me for some help finishing a quilt.  Loretta came over yesterday and we spent a lovely time together.  We caught up on what everyone was doing at the Vet School and completely solved the world's problems.  I handsewed her binding to her quilt while we chatted.

Loretta brought me a gift of fabric from Country Sampler, a quilt shop in Spring Green, which is about 45 minutes from here.  I have never been there, but I do get their newsletters and drool over everything I see in it.  She brought me a charm pack and yardage of Nature's Basket by Blackbird Designs, put together this way (the ribbon was tied around it when she gave it to me).  Isn't that just neat?  Nothing like an awesome presentation, hey?

 I cannot wait to use it!  Here are the fabrics in the charm pack...


Very much a prim palette...that should get me away from the white/bright that I've been hooked on of late, don't you think?  

Loretta also brought some gloves (cuz doesn't everyone need an extra pair?) and left the flannel fabric that we didn't use.  What a sweet and thoughtful person she is!  Thank you, Loretta!  We should do this again.  Well, perhaps not the 3 hours of handsewing, but the chatting.  Definitely should! 
    
Have a great night!


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.". Jeremiah 29:11

5 comments:

Kim said...

Oooo, I love the idea of two crafters coming together to combine their talents in a project. Perfect!

WoolenSails said...

The dolls and the clothes are really fun and wonderful collaboration. I love charm packs, they are fun to work with.

Debbie

Dog Trot Farm said...

Jacque, I just love that little dolly with her red yarn hair. Her name, Fiona, and outfit match her perfectly...

moosecraft said...

Fiona looks so cute in her new duds! I"m thinking she needs a daisy in her hair? Everything from Country Sampler is such a treat.... they put care into the details and it is always appreciated.... they sure know how to do thing right! :-)

Anonymous said...

This is a great opportunity for you and Cathy both. Love Fiona! And her clothes of course. Joyce