Monday, October 20, 2014

Library Book Bag...

I was browsing through my photos this morning and realized that I never showed you the book bag I made.  It was in one of the mosaics a few posts ago, but if you didn't look closely, you had no clue about it. 

While going through my fabric one day - looking for something totally unrelated - I ran across 3 Summersville fabrics that I have had for over 2 years.  One of the pieces is 'town'...a print of buildings and vehicles.  Looking at it, I spied the Library building and an ah-ha! moment occurred!  (See the library in the photo?  It's in the row under the vehicles...with a little flag atop it.  If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you'll be able to find it more easily.  LIBRARY is actually printed on the building.)

Sister Joyce is an avid reader.  She has a Kindle Fire and reads books on there, but not everything she wants to read is available as an e-book.  So, off to the library she goes.  Often.  My ah-ha! moment?  I should make Joyce a bag for her library books! 

So, I did!  I carefully cut the print so that the Library was (somewhat) centered.  I used Kona cotton solid in Black for the straps and bottom.

I lined it with Kona cotton solid in Purple...cuz my sister loves purple!


I even made a little pocket for her library card and sewed a little patch of the library building on it...

I am very pleased with how it turned out.   

  
But, most importantly, Joyce loves it.

And, there you have it...the 'up-close and personal' story of the library book bag.

Have a great Monday!


 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.". Jeremiah 29:11

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My library book bag!!! I just love it and it's going with me tomorrow to the library!!! Thank you so much my talented sister!!! Joyce

Sue at The Boar's Breath Ranch said...

It is very cute. What a nice sister.

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful bag and really nice with the lining.
I have been reading on my iPad and notice I am getting dizzy spells again and eye problems, wondering if that is causing it, so I got a regular book and will see if they go away.

Debbie

Createology said...

Hand making a thoughtful gift is the very best gift of all. Your sister is fortunate to have you as her sister. Lovely Library Book Bag.

moosecraft said...

Awesome! The pocket for the library card is a clever addition! Great little bag!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Very nice bag Jacque, everyone needs a library tote...I am sure your sister will put it to good use!

Anonymous said...

How great...I need to make one for my sister! Is this a particular pattern you followed, or did you just wing it?