Thursday, May 8, 2014

Scraps and Stash and Organization of Such...

Over the past few years, I have thought about doing something useful with my scraps.  I have a large enamel pot (that I used to use for dyeing wool) that they get thrown into when I clean off my cutting table.  At least twice, I've emptied the contents into a bag and given them to my neighbor.  Not sure what she does with them, but she is always delighted to get them.  Mind you, I usually  go through them and keep those that I think I may use at some time in the future...near or far.


So, while I am in the process of readying my bedroom for its makeover/spring cleaning, I decided that I should do something with my scraps.  In the way of organizing them, that is.  I'm not going nuts and spending hours and hours on it...when I have a few minutes, I cut some into pieces.  It is rather a tedious job, so a few minutes at a time is about all I can manage most days.  But, the pot is not as full as it was!



How am I organizing them?  In strips and squares.  The strips are sized 1.5 & 2.5 inches.  I also have strips that are 3" and wider...am keeping those intact so that they can later be cut down into whatever size blocks I need them to be.  I am cutting squares 2.5, 3, 4, 5, and 7 inches.  I figure those sizes are the ones most popular with me, so I am cutting the largest size I am able to from each fabric piece.

Here are two of the containers I am filling up...

My stash...now that's something different.  Basically, it is organized first by fabric collection, then second by  color (all of the pieces of fabric that don't belong to the fabric collections).

Ohyeah.  The bedroom makeover.  Well, since my workspace is in my bedroom (hard to go anywhere else when I live in a one bedroom apartment, ya know?) I need to organize it better.  It doesn't keep me awake at night, but I am tired of looking at the mess all of the time.  Granted, it would help a lot if,  #1- I had somewhere for everything to go and #2 - I put things away when I am finished with them.  I am trying to get myself clutter-free.  That will never happen, but I can work toward it.  Right?  

And, my bed is going to get a new look.  Nothing spectacular, but different.  Summer bed.  Sounds fancy, yeah?  ~grin~  Not meant to, but I do love the way it sounds!  One of my favorites quilts is finally going to get used...no longer content for it to just look pretty on my cedar chest.  Why do I make quilts if not to use them, hey?

I knew I would love being retired!  I so enjoy having the time to take care of things like this.  Though, the time does go by faster than I thought it would! 

I have a few small projects to work on...those that I didn't complete in the month of April.  And, I am itching to get a few more quilts quilted out at The Electric Needle.  I am trying to hold off on starting another quilt until I get a few of those done.   

What are you keeping busy with?


"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.". Jeremiah 29:11

5 comments:

kks said...

So organized!
xoxo

Farm Girl said...

I love what you have done with your scraps. I had a lady who gave me her scraps too, I always felt like it was Christmas to look through it. She always gave me more than just scraps too.
I can't wait to see what you will do with your bedroom.
I am barely working on things right now, but I am getting my land legs back. :) I actually remembered things from last week, that is progress right?
Have a nice day.

WoolenSails said...

I have that problem right now and trying to decide what to do with my scraps, lol. I was thinking of sewing mine together by types and using them as crazy quilt dolls or clothing, etc. But if I sew them into large block sizes, then they will be neater and easier to store.

Debbie

moosecraft said...

It's easier to figure what to do with scraps when they are in some sort of order... though I'd probably get one of those postage stamp type quilts going and use it as a picnic quilt (or similar)... I'm keeping busy with a hooked rug and a cross stitch... my ol' Kenmore is taking a vacation after being cleaned and oiled... :-)

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Congratulations on your organization project! I really need to do this but it's a bit overwhelming. That doesn't mean that I won't do it one day soon.
Happy mother's Day weekend.
xo
Donna and FL Tag