Monday, July 4, 2011

Bee Blocks, Paper Piecing, Next Project...

I never get as much done as I think I will.
Or, even as much as I want to.

I often make lists of things to do.
I seldom stick to the list.
There is always something that comes up.
Sometimes, I decide that I just plain
don't feel like doing what is on the list.

Ya know?

So.
I had a ton of stuff on my list
for this 3 day holiday weekend.

I accomplished about 1/3 of it.
Am I upset about that?
Nope.
I had a great weekend.
That's what counts.
Right?

I did get some sewing in for
the 'aqua and red block bee swap'.

Lynne asked for sampler-type blocks.
I made two for her
(just cuz I could).

These are both 12 1/2 inch blocks...

Then, the dreaded paper-piecing block.
I was quite hesitant about this one,
never before having done paper piecing.
However, the video found here made me 
feel more at ease...like I could actually do this!

So, I did.
Let me tell you...
talk about time-consuming!
There are 4 sections to this block.
And, 2 parts to each section.
That means...8 parts to paper piece!
But, toward the end,
I was zipping right along.
 
I'm not sure if I'll look for 
paper-pieced projects to 
work on in the future.
But, I've now had the experience,
so it won't be quite so daunting
next time I run across it.

All that being said, 
here's the kaleidoscope pattern block.
It's not perfect, but I am quite happy with it.

 What else did I do these past three days?
*Ate my pint of ice cream.
*Ate lunch at Culver's.
*Sat in the front yard with Julie...
drinking our strawberry margaritas.
*Bathed Tag.
*Cleaned sewing room windows.
*The usual laundry, dishes, etc. stuff.

What's ahead?

Here are the makings of my next project...

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might. - Ecclesiastes 9:10

10 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Jacque ~
Sounds like you got lots done.
OK. Being the quilting dummy that I am ...is that "paper pieced" paper or is it fabric? It looks like fabric to me, but where does the paper part come in?
Happy 4th ~ what little is left of it.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

moosecraft said...

WOW! That paper pieced block is awesome!!!!! The colors work well with it too! How many hours was that from prep to finish? The first few sentences of this post are exactly what I do too! Yes, I did have an absolutely wonderful weekend... but there is so much stitching left to do! :-) Margarita's and ice cream.... next long weekend I'm visiting you and Julie! ;-)

Joanne said...

busy busy busy bee you are! Looks wonderful - My Mom paper pieces all the time (when i was working it was my job to photocopy 20 of this - 10 of that, etc. ) she never does just one! Anyway - sounds like a wonderful weekend.

Farm Girl said...

oh your points are perfect.
They look wonderful. Well I am always amazed at how much get accomplished. I will remain a fan. :)

Unknown said...

All the blocks look marvelous dahling! Simply marvelous! I'm like you though paper piecing is a bit daunting isn't it?
Great colour choices too.

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Loving all the blocks...especially the top one because the colors are so vibrant. You do such lovely work! I'm always impressed!
Hugs,
Courtney

Dog Trot Farm said...

Sounds like you two girls had a great weekend. My oh my Jacque you have been productive, I especially like the kaleidoscope quilt pattern and it's colors. BTW does Julie quilt too? Have a great weekend, Julie.

camp and cottage living said...

The colors on your blocks are my favorite!
It sounds like you got quite a bit accomplished to me.
This is my 1st visit here.
Can't wait to see what else you're working on!

Erin @ Why Not Sew? Quilts said...

Hey Jacque-I love your bee blocks! But all I can think of now is strawberry margaritas!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the kaleidoscope quilt block!!!
That is just absolutely awesome!
You have done so well with all your sewing and quilting!
Can't wait to get the totes and coin purses you will be sending me.
Love, Joyce